search by addresssearch by locationbrowse site by site


T7 Site Map - Select for detailed map
T7Site Map.  Located on the south side of 4th Street between Tatnall and Orange Streets, Site T7 covers approximately 0.667 acres. [detailed map ~300k]
 


Historical Findings

Analysis of historical documents identified seven tanneries or tannery-related industries at this location:

S. POSTLES & SONS MOROCCO MFY
1876 Hopkins , Map 10 [map ~120k]
J. PARKE POSTLES & CO. MOROCCO MFY.
1884 Sanborn , Map 7 [map ~120k]
TADMAN & HICKMAN MOROCCO MFY.
1901 Baist , Map 2 [map ~120k]
TADMAN & HICKMAN GLAZED KID
1901 Sanborn , Map 3 [map ~120k]
DELMARVIA LEATHER CO. GLAZED KID (NOT OP. SINCE 1927)
1927 Sanborn , Map 7 [map ~120k]
REPTIVOGUE LEATHER CO.
1936 Franklin , Map 3 [map ~120k]
MOROCCO FACT./MOROCCO FACT.
1868 Beers , Map 9 [map ~120k]


Site Photographs


-TANNERY SITE T7-
Label

Activity Tracker  [All Activity]

 

Field Investigation Observations

Land Use

On-site Landuse
A Delaware Tech classroom building occupies this block.



Adjacent Landuse
The area around this site is a mix of commercial and educational uses. To the north along 4th Street are a number of commercial enterprises including an Indian restaurant, electrician, chiropractor, barber, pizza shop, lighting store and A/C & radiator repair shop. Northeast across the intersection of 4th and Orange is the Salvation Army Community Center. Moving southward along Orange is found a number of Delaware Tech classroom buildings. South across 3rd Street is a large parking complex (Sites T4, T5, & T18). S.G. Williams Roofing occupies the parcels across Tatnall Street to the west.


Presence of Children

The area around the Delaware Tech campus is primarily commercial. A daycare facility is located two and a half blocks to the east, and a Catholic school two blocks north, but otherwise there were no signs of children in the vicinity. University students heavily use the area.


Exposed Soil

Small landscaped areas are found along Tatnall, 4th and Orange Streets.

Area covered in grass or mulch: Area of directly exposed soil:


Conclusion: